Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas Cross Stitch

One recent challenge (#34) over at method playground was to hand stitch on your layout with embroidery floss. I always miss the deadline for the prizes, but I do find such inspiration there! It has been a while since I pulled out my DMC floss, but the samples from the guest designer, Scarlett Namvong, were really cute so I thought I would give it a try...and I loved how it turned out! It is funny where you see inspiration. At church on Christmas Day one of the ladies there was wearing a pretty blouse that featured sampler style embroidery in the shape of a Christmas tree. Hmmm. Then I was at Target yesterday and saw a green candle with beautiful green snowflakes etched in the surface. I left the candle, but took the idea! I think the combination of those 2 ideas worked really well.

I happened to have 1/4" graph paper in my stash of supplies, so I used it when I drew out the tree and snowflake design. I used temp adhesive to hold it in place on the cardstock while I made the holes with a paper piercer. I raided my DMC for a variety of greens and started stitching!

Details: The words on the tree are from Martha Stewart stamps (Christmas gift) which were stamped with versamark and then dusted with Earth Tone Ikandee Chalks. The stitches around the edge of the layout hold thin 1/8" strips of paper that I slid in after the stitching was done. The little brass snowflake charms are from my stash. I bought the red "Merry Christmas" ribbon on the photo at a quilting store...and am struggling to remember the manufacturer...I believe it was May Arts. The gifts in the bottom right are Sizzix die cuts. The paper is from Debbie Mumm.

No comments:

Post a Comment