Friday, November 11, 2011

Tea-dye your Baker's Twine

I love to use baker's twine on my projects, but sometimes the white just does not work. I have been working with the 25 Days of Christmas line from Simple Stories and there is very little pure white in this paper collection - it all has a lovely aged and faded feel. I thought after I used the tea-dyed twine to create the Christmas Card in my last post I should probably show you how I made it!

 Long before I was a paper crafter I was just a crafter.  Sometimes when I was working with fabric I wanted a more homespun look, so I would tea-dye the fabric.  The same technique works for baker's twine and it is so easy!
I start by heating about half a cup of water in the microwave, throw in a Lipton tea bag, and let it steep. After a few minutes I take out the tea bag and drop in the twine.
 A quick stir makes sure it is all submerged then I just let it sit.  I usually dye a 2-3 ft length of each color at a time and I start checking after about 3 minutes.  The longer you leave it in the darker it will get so be careful.  I just try to turn the white to cream.  When I decide it is ready, I pull out each strand separately, and straighten it by pulling it between my thumb and forefinger - which also squeezes out any excess tea.  I generally just lay it out on wax paper to dry...although I have been known to put it in an oven on low heat for a few minutes if I am in a hurry! 

I took some pictures of the tea-dyed twine next to the original twine so you can see the difference:
Cappuccino

Maraschino
Peapod
 Like I said, it is a really easy technique.  I hope this will give you the confidence to give it a try.

1 comment:

  1. Love this idea! It's like you can double your twine stash-genius!

    ReplyDelete