Monday, December 12, 2011

3D Christmas Tree

In my post on December 8th I showed you how easy it is to make the folded Christmas Tree and promised to show you another idea I had using the same technique. As I was playing with it, I realized how easily it could be made into a 3D Christmas Tree for  use in your holiday home decor! The tutorial ended when we got to this point:

For the 3D Tree, I duplicated the process with some green patterned paper, although I did not emboss it this time:
I assembled the tree, then cut and folded a second set of squares:
Starting at the top of the tree, I glued them together (using glue spots I made with The Best Glue Ever), 1 segment at a time:
When all the layers were adhered, I added a gold charm to the top of the tree:
I liked it so much, I decided to make another one, using bigger squares to create a larger tree.  I used Spellbinders Classic Squares for the smaller cuts, then I had to pull out my paper cutter and added the last 2 squares:  4-1/4" and 4-3/4".  I also created a base for the tree by cutting a strip of cardstock that was about 1.25"x4".  I coiled it into a circle and glued the ends together.  I cut 2-1" slits into opposite sides of the circle and slid it onto the bottom of the tree.
I've got a nice start on an evergreen forest for my mantle this December, don't you agree?
I do hope you will give this technique a try as it is a great way to use up some of the lovely green papers I know you have in your stash and it is a really personal touch to your home decor.
Oooh!  Another idea - wouldn't these be cute as name holders on your Christmas dinner table?!?
;) Susie

No comments:

Post a Comment