Monday, January 16, 2012

Exploding Box

It is no secret I love to make exploding boxes.  I actually find myself making them as a 3D card...or a card/gift combo.  Here is one I made for my husband - our 21st Wedding Anniversary is this week!
 
When you take the lid off, the 4 sides open out and this is what you see:
  Each side of the box has a pocket.  They are decorated very similarly, but the sentiments are different.  They are from Quick Quotes and are printed on vellum.  I cut them with the Classic Squares dies from Spellbinders and backed them with a lightly patterned paper before mounting them on Fleur De Lis Squares - also cut with Spellbinder dies. Here are three of them - I somehow forgot to take a close up shot of the fourth!
        
The little chipboard tags are also from Quick Quotes.  I applied some adhesive to the back of each tag to hold them in place, then tied them up with some Maraschino baker's twine from the Twinery.  Inside the pockets are simple tags to which I will add pictures and some notes/memories of our years together. 

Here is the second layer with pockets for more photos, memories and maybe a gift card to a nice restaurant!  This time the tags inside the pocket are cut and embossed with  Spellbinders Classic Scalloped Squares and Classic Squares.  The embossing on these tags create a rich, elegant and finished detail to this project.

All of the paper and ribbons I used to create and decorate this box are from Quick Quotes. The papers are from the Paint It Black line.  The rose in the center of the box is from my previous tutorial and is cut from felt with the Spellbinders Blossom One die.

3 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! I never had the nerve to start or finish one of these. My 19 anniversary is was yesterday! Happy Anniversary.
    Laura~

    ReplyDelete
  2. What die cut did younuse to make the box?

    ReplyDelete
  3. To decorate the box I used Spellbinders Fleur de Lis Squares dies - here is a link:
    http://spellbinderspaperarts.com/products/p-68-fleur-de-lis-squares.aspx

    To make the box is more complicated. I started with a basic exploding box then customized it. Here is a link to a really good basic tutorial:
    http://www.acherryontop.com/articles/Exploding-Box-Tutorial-3828

    I hope that answers your question. They are certainly fun and easy to make once you get the hang of it!

    ReplyDelete