Friday, December 28, 2012

Spellbinders Techniques & Materials Sampler

I thought  I would share another project I created for the Spellbinders Explore Beyond Challenge.  It is basically a 12"x12" Patchwork Sampler Layout where I tried to incorporate the widest variety of materials I could think of that can be cut by Spellbinders dies. I also used my collection of M-Bossabilities folders to make the backgrounds. Most importantly I tried to use several different techniques with the dies and materials.   A girlfriend of mine created a similar one in a Tim Holtz class.  I decided I wanted my own inspiration piece using my Spellbinders!
 I am actually linking this to the Love My Tapes December Challenge:  make a card or layout with a banner made out of washi tape.

This section of the sampler uses washi tape.  I adhered a few pieces of washi to cardstock then cut it using the banners from the Nested Lacey Pennant setInstead of stringing them across the page, I decided to cluster them together under the "Create" label smack dab in the middle of the page!
Washi tape from October Afternoon, MME, and Target.
The label was cut and embossed using the Girlie Grunge Labels set that Donna Salazar designed for Spellbinders. Instead of using ink to stencil the letters, I used modeling paste to give the letters dimension.  I love it!

Immediately to the right I used another set designed by Donna Salazar, Mix'd Media Playtime, to spell out the word ART. I inked the letters with black then mounted them on pieces of chipboard I had cut with the same dies.
The background was embossed with the Flower Fun M-Bossabilities and sprayed with Trunk Bay Glimmer Mist.  Once it dried I hit the raised areas with Peeled Paint Distress Ink.

The upper left corner of my inspiration piece uses one of my favorite Spellbinders dies:  Bitty Blossoms!  To create the background I ran a piece of Spellbinders Premium Craft Foil through my Grand Calibur in the So Trendy M-Bossabilities folder, then ran my Mustard Stazon ink pad over the surface.

I will be back later to share more details from the sampler!

7 comments:

  1. Great banner design! I love it! Thanks for playing along with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing piece Susie. This sampler is so fun to look at. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful!! Love all the details!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cool project!! I love the grid design you created and the way you embellished each part of it! Thanks for playing along with us @ Love My Tapes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susie...just read this is 12" x 12"...in my minds eye it was about 3' x 3'... Lol

    Also...did you have a "blip" on the Flickr contest page of another collage with a summer scene? I saw it, then it was gone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colors & textures, Like a quilt, these pieces fit together seamlessly!

    ReplyDelete