Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Hot Air Balloon Canvas with Spellbinders Die D-Lites!

I love making canvases!  Here is one I made for a very dear friend. I wanted to let her know how important she is to me. I used my favorite quote from the Wizard of Oz, "A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." (Wizard to Scarecrow) 
I actually got the idea from a submissions call by Scrap N'Art Magazine.  They were looking for projects with the theme "Love is in the Air."  I had just purchased one of Spellbinders new Die D-Lites, the Fantastic Flourish Three, and I kept seeing the heart embedded in it's design and it reminded me of the rigging you might see on a hot air balloon!
I cut it from Royal Langnickel Copper scratch board, embossed it and then sanded it to reveal the details. The basket was created the same way using the smallest element from Fleur de Lis Motifs.  I added some eyelets and connected it with chains.  The passenger in the basket was cut out of shrink plastic using the Mix'd Media Playtime set.
To finish off the balloon, I created an element cut with Fancy Tags Three and embellished it with coordinating black rhinestone Nestabling from Want2Scrap.  The finishing touch was a "heart of gold" cut from brass using Mix'd Media Elements.
Creating the background for the balloon was so much fun and it hold lots of references to the movie.

I chose the background paper (Percussion from Moxxie's Musically Inclined Collection) because it reminded me of the swirling winds that carried Dorothy over the rainbow.   Across the bottom of the canvas I included a page torn from a Wizard of Oz book.  The washi tapes represent the blue birds and the songs. The Maya Road Crystal Star Trinket pin is Glinda's wand.  I even created my own version of the yellow brick road using modelling paste and Spellbinders Fancy Lattice die.
Here's a look at the charms dangling off of the balloon basket:
Do you recognize the wizard himself?  And remember Dorothy wore ruby slippers just the color of that little heart.  I tried to work in a rainbow, but my girl friend decided I was being WAY too literal and made me put on the brakes!  LOL!


We both love the way it turned out and it looks wonderful in her room.  Now one of her friends is interested in having me create a canvas for her, "Under the Tuscan Sun."

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you find some time to play!  Susie

Materials
Spellbinders  Die D-Lites Fantastic Flourish Three
Spellbinders Fancy Lattice Die
Spellbinders Mix'd Media Elements
Spellbinders Mix'd Media Playtime


Spellbinders Fleur de Lis Motifs
Spellbinders Fancy Tags Three
Want2Scrap Nestabling Fancy Tags Three - Black R
Moxxie paper - Musically Inclined Percussion
ScraPerfect The Best Glue Ever
Maya Road Crystal Star Trinket Pin
Modelling Paste
Royal Langnickel Copper Scratch Board
Washi Tape

2 comments:

  1. Popping to say how much I love the way you used the Fantastic Flourish Three die!! So clever! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the balloon Susie, that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete