Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Packing Tape to ATC!

Last week I missed watching the Spellbinders Try It Tuesday show.  Terre Fry and Ken Oliver were sharing different methods to do an image transfer. I watched the show later and decided to give one technique a try:  image transfer with packing tape. Of course, I had to add a little twist!  I have oodles of packing tape that I bought on sale from the dollar bins at Michaels, but my tape is pretty!
I had laser printed photocopies of some vintage photos I had been playing with recently, so I decided this tape best matched my mood:

The technique is very simple.  Start with a laser printed photocopy of a picture and cover the front of it with packing tape.  You can see that I actually overlapped the tape to get more of the pretty rose image on my photo.
Next, turn it over and spritz water onto the back, saturating the paper.
Gently start rubbing the paper off with the pads of your fingers.  Don't scratch it off or you could damage the image.
When you have completely removed the paper, flip it over and prepare to be amazed!

So now that I had a perfectly good, transparent image transfer how was I going to use it?  I had never made an ATC before so I decided as long as I was trying new things this would be the perfect opportunity.  I started with a Donna Salazar Canvas ATC from Want2Scrap and added fabric tape, a memo pin, stickers, a postage stamp, metal letters, a die cut label and an index print - Voila! I love how it turned out!
 NOTE: When my dad was in subs in WWII, my mom would send him letters signed, "All my love".   She also sent him cheesecake pictures, including the one you see there - mom still has great legs!!!

Thanks to Terre and Ken for giving me the push to try this technique!
I will definitely be tuning in to watch Spellbinders Try It Tuesday at 9am PT/12pm ET to see what they have planned for today!

I hope you find some time to play today - maybe try an image transfer!  Susie


Supplies:
Want2Scrap ATC in Canvas by Donna Salazar
Spellbinders Shapeabilities S5-149  Snapshot
Prima fabric tape
The Paper Studio Spare Parts Alpha Tiles
Tim Holtz Ideology Memo Pin
K&Company Adhesive Chipboard
Michaels Packing Tape
Postage stamp, ink

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Susie - love your project, you really rocked this technique. When I have a white background I always end up rubbing it RIGHT OFF. I'll have to give it some more practice!

    AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I have so many projects going on, but I'm gonna have to add photo transfer to the list.

    ReplyDelete