Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Track Star - A Mixed Media Layout

Some people are intimidated by the idea of delving into mixed media.  This layout is a pretty simple introduction into some basic materials and techniques: gesso, modeling paste, stencils and PanPastels®.
The background is a sheet of Finish Line paper from Moxxie.  I adhered a couple of pictures of my nephew (handsome and fast!) and added stickers where I wanted the title to be.  Next, I  pulled out the gesso.  Using a foam brush, I dry brushed a thin layer onto the paper, covering the stickers and the edge of the photos. (If you don't have gesso, you can do this with white acrylic paint.)
Then I pulled off the stickers revealing the black paper beneath.  To make my title more dimensional I replaced the letter "A" with a chipboard star from Want2Scrap. I inked it then heat embossed it with clear embossing powder.
While I was adding dimension, I decided to use modeling paste along the left side of the layout. I used a palette knife to apply the paste over the Arrows Stencil from Want2Scrap - be sure to wash the stencil before the paste dries on it - and added color to a few of them with PanPastels®.

I also used the Arrows Stencil to apply PanPastel over the gesso.  It provided a nice background for my journaling.

 Last step was to add one of Moxxie's die cut strips featuring a great quote from Oprah Winfrey:

"Running is the greatest metaphor for life, 
because you get out of it what you put into it."

I hope you find some time to play today - and maybe it will involve some mixed media!  Susie

No comments:

Post a Comment