Thursday, July 4, 2013

America - Land of the Free because of the Brave!


Many of my family members have served in various branches of the U.S. Military.  My dad actually served in the Navy in WWII.  He volunteered for submarines.  He then went on to have a career as a pilot in the U.S. Air Force where he was awarded the Air Force Cross, for distinguishing himself by extraordinary heroism in battle.  It is second only to the Medal of Honor.  I created this piece as a tribute to my him and my mom - because only really exceptional women can be military wives!
 
Below are close ups of some of the individual sections of the tray.
I used Spellbinders new Media Mixage line to create the bezels you see in the piece.  I simply used the dies to cut some pictures of my mom and dad, sealed them with Mod Podge, then added Ice Resin.  The small pearls you see on the top of each bezel are from Want2Scrap.
My mom really was an All American girl!  This photo is actually from their honeymoon in Virginia Beach.  The word stickers are from the Pride line from Authentique. The gold key is actually made from Want2Scrap chipboard.  Amazing what a little heat embossing can do, don't you think?! .
The image in this final bezel was cut from the 6"x6" paper pad.  I love that Authentique releases it's collections in so many different sizes!  If you were wondering where I got the cool red stones at the bottom of the bezel...well, let's just say I no longer have fish for the fish tank and those little rocks were just sitting around!
 This is a photo of Mamo.  She was my paternal grandmother and was a Red Cross Volunteer during the war.
Daddy served on the USS Trutta.  He enlisted at 17years old.  I had this little compass in my stash from who knows where and thought it was a perfect little embellishment.
Daddy flew several different planes during his career in the USAF. 
 His Air Force Cross Citation reads (in part):

The President of the United States of America...takes pleasure in presenting the Air Force Cross to Major Joseph B. Madden (AFSN: 0-23814), United States Air Force, for extraordinary heroism in military operations against an opposing armed force as a Forward Air Controller and Pilot of an O-1 aircraft... Major Madden flew his unarmed O-1 Birddog aircraft in support of friendly forces engaged in defense of their beleaguered fire support base. Despite intense, accurately directed hostile fire which damaged his aircraft, Major Madden, with undaunted determination, indomitable courage, and superior professional skill controlled over one hundred close air support sorties that resulted in the neutralization of a hostile battalion. Through his extraordinary heroism, superb airmanship, and aggressiveness in the face of hostile forces, Major Madden reflected the highest credit upon himself and the United States Air Force.

Enjoy your 4th of July celebration and remember the brave men and women serving our country that make it possible!  Susie

7 comments:

  1. I love learning more about each of the compartments. Truly beautiful!
    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this project & especially like that you added the story of your family and their military accomplishments. Gave me goose bumps!!!
    Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to pop in to comment - LOVE your project!!! Just so heartfelt and full of pride as it should be! Many many thanks to them for their service - An AMAZING PROJECT~!! Thank you for sharing this and the story <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely memento for such an extraordinary man!
    Thanks for visiting my blog .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a beautiful piece!! Your Dad is a hero! One of my daughters is also a pilot in the Air Force.
    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this project. Where did you find your frame?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Artist Printers Tray is by Seven Gypsies. I believe I picked mine up at Michael's, howver you can definitely get them at Scrapbook.com:

      http://store.scrapbook.com/pp-7g-12564.html

      Delete