Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Craft Stamper Magazine Review - August 2013

Back in July, Craft Stamper Magazine was looking for people who were not familiar with the magazine to look it over.  I was thrilled to be one of 10 people chosen to review it!  They sent me the August 2013 edition and I jumped right in!
The cover shows just a few of the colorful and inspiring projects to be found inside!  Did you notice the stamp on the bottom left corner of the magazine cover?  Apparently this is a regular feature and inside the magazine there is a pull out section showing cards made with that very stamp.  Although the cover-mount stamp is not available in the USA, there is still inspiration to be found in creating with a similar image.

The table of contents has a nice clean design and is easy to navigate.  There is a boxed section that tells you exactly where to find the articles/projects from the cover, something I really appreciate.  The facing page has good sized photos of other projects from this issue and the page number where each can be found.   I say projects, not cards, because this magazine hold images and instructions for mixed media and home dec items as well as wonderful cards!

I  really like the way the projects are presented!  One full page is dedicated to a large picture of the project so you can really see the detail and craftsmanship. The facing page has a materials list and an intro by the artist discussing the products or techniques used, providing tips, and giving a general overview. I didn't feel rushed.  I felt like the magazine really wanted me to enjoy the project and absorb the process.  There are pictures and instructions that walk you through each step.  Being a visual learner, this makes it really easy to follow. 

One article, a masterclass in painted backgrounds by Elizabeth Borer,  presents 5 different painting techniques with detailed instructions and photos.  They are not new techniques, but they are presented in a way that reminds you how easy and effective they might be on your next project!

The magazine covers a variety of styles from clean & simple to steampunk  to artsy fartsy! 
There are ads in the magazine, but they do not interrupt the flow of the articles,nor do they overwhelm the magazine itself.   It is a nice balance.
The magazine is peppered with little banners that identify places to purchase the products highlighted in each feature in case you want to "Go Shopping!"  Very helpful!
There are reader submissions...and prizes!
There are card sketches.
There are recurring features and continuing series.
There are projects for both the beginner and experienced crafter.


What you really find inside Craft Stamper magazine is inspiration, like I found in this fabulous article by Sylvia Blum.  She made me want to take out my alcohol inks and play with them.  Her article told me exactly how she created a certain effect and gave me the confidence that I could do it, too!

I am not much of a card maker, but I do like to experiment and play.  I made my acetate about the right size for an ATC card.  I used Sylvia's basic technique, but put my own little twist on it!

I am not sure how these are going to turn out...or what they are going to become...but I know it will definitely be fun to find out!

Thank you so much to the folks at Craft Stamper for giving me the privilege of reviewing their magazine.  I will be going back to these pages again and again for inspiration and instructions!

Thank you for stopping by and I hope you find some time to play today!  Susie

4 comments:

  1. So glad you liked the magazine :-) Thanks for the wonderful review and of course THANK YOU for the shout out regarding my article! Your acetate backgrounds look totally adorable! Looove your results! And I am really happy to hear and see that the instructions are really helpful and doable :-)
    I'm sure you will make your stunning results into something wonderful! :-)
    Maybe you can use it as an embellishment on a scrapbook page?
    Sylvia xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susie, Had to come and see you at your blog and I'm so looking forward to being one of your partners in Astrid'a ICAD swap. I like what you did with the acetate here and will be going back to that issue of the CS to read this article over again! Margie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susie,
    Sooo great to see, what you´re working on here, and even more as it´s sooo different from, what I normally do. I haven´t been much into this kind of stamping and when you say you´re not much into cardmaking, I´m probably most into cardmaking and boxes and that kind of stuff. Buit I really loved, what I saw here, it´s really beautiful work, and I can see, you´re a very talented lady, so I´m really looking forrward to see, what you´ll be doing for Astrids swap. I love, what I´ve seen here sofar. Have a wonderful day and lots of great fun with it.
    Biiiig hugs Maryann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the lovely review Susie!

    ReplyDelete