Monday, August 5, 2013

My First Ice Resin Project: Beach-Themed Necklace

Creating my first Ice Resin piece was an experience I thought I should share. 
I made some mistakes, got lots of advice from an Ice Resin savvy friend, and ended up with a beautiful, meaningful and unique necklace for my mother!  I actually finished this months ago, but I had to keep it under wraps until Mom's birthday on August 1st!
 
 I grew up on the Gulf Coast of Florida and have many happy memories of days spent at the beach 
with my mother.  My parents also happened to honeymoon at Virginia Beach so I decided for my very first 
Ice Resin project I would make a beach-themed necklace for mom. 


I started with a bunch of photos from my parents' honeymoon, which I printed onto regular paper.
I used the die that coordinated with the Rectangles One Bezel I had selected from Spellbinders Media Mixage line to cut the pictures.  
I did not use this photo for this project, but I love this image of my mother in front of the ferris wheel!
 I used Mod Podge to seal the pictures - front, back and edges - and let them dry thoroughly.

I have a collection of Tiny Word Stickers from My Mind's Eye in bright, citrus-y colors.  
I made my choices and sealed these with Mod Podge also.
I glued the picture into the bottom of the bezel and put the tiny bits and pieces into place using Embellie Gellie from Scraperfect.  Embellie Gellie made it easy to apply the glue and put things exactly where I wanted them!  I also included a metal sea star and a tiny sand dollar I had picked up off the beach.


This is where things started to become a challenge.  
Just before I poured the Ice Resin, I decided to add a little bit of beach sand to the bottom of the bezel. 
Mistake.  
Ice Resin is self-leveling and that is a good thing.  
Ordinarily.  
When I poured the resin it naturally started to spread...and it carried all that loose sand with it!
Look closely and you will see all those tiny grains of sand!
I frantically started messaging a friend on facebook  - thank you Tina Schiefer!
She was a font of helpful information.  
Basically since the resin had not set, she advised me to pour it out, clean it with acetone and start over. 
We were still tapping away on the keyboard when I mentioned the sand dollar was becoming discolored.  
Yikes! 
Apparently anything porous, including paper sand dollars, will change color.  
Under her calm tutelage I actually painted the sand dollar white again then added a thin coat of Ice Resin.
I let it dry completely before I continued.

Here is a shot of the bezel before the final pour.  

Oops!
The arrows are pointing out the stains on the stickers even though I thought I did a good job sealing them.
I think the next time I will try a different method, sealing them in clear packing tape.

 One more thing to be careful about...
Dust!

Tiny pieces of dust marred the surface.  But that was an easy fix, too!  I used sand paper to scuff up the surface then I applied another coat of Ice Resin.  That whole self-leveling thing really is fabulous!

To finish off the piece, I added a photo of my dad to the back of the bezel, 
covered it with Ice Resin, and dangled some charms off of the bottom. 
Voila!

Happy Birthday Mom!

Products Used:

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Donna! It was a lot of fun and I have some more in the works I will be sharing soon!

      Delete
  2. lol, I did the SAME THING with sand and a sand dollar... I am trying to think of a good way to salvage my work. About the stickers... I like the way it turned out. Looks like you distressed the edge before you added the Ice Resin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris - All I can tell you is that you can probably save the bezel and start over. My friend Tina said once it was "hard" I could blast it with a heat gun. She said then it would crumble enough to pull/pick out with tweezers. If you caught it at the "soft candy" stage it should pull right out. Let me know when it is finished. I would love to see it!

      Delete
  3. I love it! BTW, I'm GLAD you shared the issues you had and what you did to overcome. MIght have saved many of us from the same pitfalls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this Susie! Thanks for sharing your tips! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful necklace with such sweet memories! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea painting the sand dollar. I have a bezel with a very "see through" sand dollar in it.
    I think the darkening of the words adds some distressing to it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a terrific photo of your mom wearing her beautiful gift. You must have been so pleased it turned out so well and you were able to give her a gift she could treasure.
    Hugs, Neet xx
    ps love mom's blouse!

    ReplyDelete