Monday, October 14, 2013

Steampunk Mask

The Want2Scrap Design Team recently had a chance to play with products from DecoArts.  They provided us a wide range of metallic paint  and that reminded me of the new Shifting Gears Chipboard Embellishments that were designed by Candy Rosenberg for Want2Scrap.  With Halloween just around the corner, I decided to combine the two and created this Steampunk Mask:

Here are the "how-to" details:  I started with a coat of black acrylic paint on the mask, then applied a coat of DecoArt Dazzling Metallics in Black Pearl on top of that:
I used the Copper Kettle Metallic Lustre on one of the gears.  I know a lot of people would choose to apply this wax finish product with a sponge but I just used my fingers!
I also coated a couple of the smaller gears with the Rich Espresso Dazzling Metallics.  I am happy to say it only took one coat for full coverage!
The largest gear was painted with Shimmering Silver Dazzling Metallics.
I drilled tiny holes in the mask as needed and used brads to attach the gears to the mask.
I used Medieval Gold and Black Pearl Dazzling Metallics on the top layer of gears.
Can you see the tiny row of dots along the "jawline" of the mask?  Those dots were created using DecoArt Paper Effects in Golden Pearl.  The Paper Effects came with a Fine Liner Tip that allowed me to create very intricate details with a bit of dimension!

The lettering on the mask reads "Technology is Beautiful" and was added with stickers.  I cut apart some Nestabling Pennants to add the black rhinestone bling that runs along the top edge of the mask on the left side.
I used Spellbinders® Shapeabilities® Are You Here die set to cut the arrows from metallic tape I picked up at Home Depot.  I used the arrows to direct attention to the words on the mask and to one of the cute clockface charms that Want2Scrap recently started to carry.

The right side of the mask is much simpler.  I embossed more of the metallic tape with a Spellbinders® Media Mixáge™ Texture Plate and applied it above the eye opening.  I lined the edge with more of the black rhinestones from the Nestabling Pennants.  To continue the rhinestones across the cheek in that gorgeous flourish, I used a piece of Swirls Finesse, also in black rhinestone.

The elegant trio of silver rhinestone tear drops was carefully trimmed out of Beautiful Bling Borders by Nina Brackett.

Now for some really good news! 
 You have an opportunity to win an assortment of these DecoArts products for yourself!  
On top of that, Want2Scrap is going to throw in some **Bling**!
To enter to win this great prize package, use the Rafflecopter below:

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Want2Scrap Products:
DecoArts Products:
Cross Promotional Products:
Other Products:
  • Miss Elizabeth's Vintage Typewriter Alphabet
  • Metal tape
  • Brads

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Dana! I am really happy with how it turned out.

      Delete
  2. WOW! That is so amazing!! All the details are what makes it so original! I keep looking at it and finding something else! It really is awesome!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Daniella! I started it with a couple of ideas in mind and it just sort of evolved. I am kind of surprised at how it ended up myself! I appreciate your taking the time to leave a comment.

      Delete
  3. That is an awesome looking mask. Where did you find the plain white mask? Francine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Francine! This is one of my favorite projects ever! I found the mask at Joann's but I think they have discontinued this particular style.

      Delete