Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Top 10 (actually 14) Favorite Christmas Ornaments Mini-Album

I love Christmas.  It is one of my favorite holidays. I often find myself picking up ornaments from vacation spots so that when Christmas comes, I can recall all those happy memories.  I realized I tell the same stories every year as we decorate the tree - some the kids remember, some they don't - so I created a little mini-album with my favorites Christmas Ornaments:
The first thing you may notice is that it is not "traditional" Christmas colors. I found this Sweet Summertime Envelope Album Kit by Little Yellow Bicycle in my stash and I really loved the bright citrus-y colors and the fabulous shapes.  The colors coordinated perfectly with the Lime Twist Line from My Mind's Eye, which happened to have a cute little Top 10 journaling card, which inspired the cover - and title - of the album!

I used Photoshop to add journaling to wallet-sized pics of my favorite ornaments:

The envelope format was perfect because I could make little tags that would go inside each envelope and would tell more of the story - I really like hidden journaling.  On this first tag, I just listed the dates and locations of some of our dive trips.

The tags were easy to make with a circle punch, an eyelet and some baker's twine.  The tags also gave me a place to use up some of my stickers - my fins, dive mask and snorkel are precisely that color of pink!

I started to go through my embellishments and realized I had leftovers from the scrapbooking layouts I had created for these trips.  I picked up the little boy and girl patches from a sewing store...aren't they sweet?  I also found a Canadian coin  from the trip to Niagara Falls.


When I was cropping the pictures and adding the journaling I framed them so that the ornament was off to the left or the right.  That way there was a dark area created by the Christmas tree that makes the white jornaling really pop!

When I first started collecting ornaments, I always tried to find an angel, however, that was not always possible - and there are some pretty amazing non-angel ornaments I would have missed out on - like the wax ornament from Germany of the baby Jesus.

I had more ornaments I wanted to include than I had envelopes...so I created more envelopes by using the MLYB ones as patterns.  I just traced them on the paper from MME - and they work together perfectly!



So think about making yourself a little mini-album using non-traditional colors.  Take some pictures this year of your favorite ornaments then comb through your stash for all those leftover embellishments, preserve some special memories and share some funny stories.

I hope you find some time to play today!  Susie

4 comments:

  1. Susie, This is fabulous! It is so quirky and fun, from the non-traditional colors to all the clever little layouts that represent your unique style. It's hard to come up with something new on a Christmas theme, but you combined Christmas memories with some travel adventures. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fun idea for a mini album! LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely mini album and project idea!

    ReplyDelete