Friday, March 14, 2014

My Flamingo is Red Hot & Coral!

I can't tell you how much I love Quick Quotes' new Baggage Claim collection...the  colors are perfect for scrapping the pictures from a vacation trip to the Bahamas.  The picture of this flamingo, with its head tucked under its wing and its eye focused clearly on me, is one of my all time favorites.

I like to make custom embellishments for my layouts.  One of the most important parts of that is matching the colors.  I used the new Coral PowderPuff Chalking Inks to alter the glittered chipboard numbers by simply dragging the ink pad gently over the surface of the numbers.

Here's a shot of the finished date.  Do you see the decorative scalloped piece above it?  That is from the Baggage Claim chipboard die cuts.

I decided to alter another piece from the chipboard die cuts but I made a mistake!  (Yes!  It happens!)  I initially thought I wanted to use the new Caribbean Blue PowderPuff Chalking Ink...but I was wrong.  Oops!
It really was not a problem.  I simply took an emery board and roughed up the edge, removing the blue ink I had applied.  I re-inked it with the new Creamy Cocoa PowderPuff Chalking Ink.  You can see it in the embellishment cluster below:
 

The really fun embellishment to make was the feathers that fall along the left side of the layout! 
 
The series of pictures below shows the progression:
  1. Paint chipboard feathers with gesso and let dry.
  2. Ink entire surface with Coral PowderPuff Chalk Ink.
  3. Use watercolor technique and Red Hot PowderPuff Chalk Ink to add depth and details.
  4. Use black pen to sketch in detail lines.
 
Here is a close up of one of the feathers:

And here is a little video to show you the watercolor technique:

Super simple, right?  I hope you give it a try the next time you play with your inks!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you find some time to play today! Susie

Quick Quotes Products for Flamingo layout:


Want2Scrap Products:

Other Products:  Glittered chipboard alpha, black ink pen, twine

No comments:

Post a Comment