Saturday, November 22, 2014

Home Dec with Paper House and Plaid!

One of my favorite things about being on a manufacturer's design team is cross promotions.  This weekend,  Paper House Productions and Plaid are teaming up and I had the opportunity to work with some fun and different products!

For my project, I finally got around to altering a tissue dispenser I had picked up at a yard sale.


When I brought it home, the tissue dispenser was bright pink with an animal print band around the top.  Not my style, but it was solid wood and very sturdy.  I planned to go with a beach theme so I wanted to make it look like weathered wood.  My box from Plaid included several bottles of Multi-Surface Paint and I started with 2 coats of Bark Brown. On top of that I dry brushed a layer of Steel Gray.  I also added a very light layer of dry brushed Wicker White.

When I was happy with the paint job, I reached for a sheet of paper from the Paper House Beach Paper Pad.  It looks like narrow boards of wood with half tone seashells printed on top.  I adhered strips of the paper around the tissue dispenser with Matte Mod Podge, using a foam brush to apply a coat on the back of the paper and on the entire surface of the tissue dispenser.
  

Next I got to play with a "new to me" product: Mod Melts.  Mod Melts appear very similar to glue sticks.  They are available in a variety of colors: clear, white, glitter, neon, opaque and metallic.  You use a high temp mini-glue gun to melt them and then squeeze them into a variety of very cool silicone molds to create dimensional embellishments.  My very generous box of goodies from Plaid contained the Milk Glass White Mod Melts and the Sea Life Mold.
 
I waited the recommended 10 minutes before I turned out the molds and the shapes popped right out!  There was a little bit of excess melt on the edges of the shapes.  It was very easy to trim those bits off before I added color with paint and inks.

I used beach themed 3D and Diecut Stickers from Paper House to create a small focal image on each side of the tissue dispenser, mixing in the fabulous Mod Melt embellishments.  I absolutely love the way it turned out!  Here are more pictures of the finished project:




All of the designers at Paper House had the opportunity to play with products from Plaid.  If you head over to the Paper House blog, you will find links to their blogs AND...my very favorite thing about cross promotions...

...the chance to win a PRIZE PACKAGE!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you find some time to play today!  Susie

Paper House Supplies:

Plaid Supplies:

  • Mod Podge Mod Molds - Sea Life
  • Mod Podge High Temp Mini Mod Melts - Milk Glass White
  • Mod Podge Matte
  • Mod Podge Foam Brush Set
  • Folk Art Multi-Surface Paints:  Bark Brown, Steel Gray, Wicker White

No comments:

Post a Comment