Thursday, December 11, 2014

Create a Canvas for Christmas with Paper House

This month the folks over at Paper House challenged the Design Team to create projects focusing on the papers from one paper pad. I had been wandering through Target recently looking for inspiration...I do that sometimes...when I found myself admiring some canvases with pretty pictures, nice quotes and big price tags. Paper House has so many different papers with beautiful images that I realized I could  easily and inexpensively create something very similar!

All of the papers I used came from the Scenic America 8"x8" paper pad.


I decided to play around with a couple of different techniques.  For example, before I adhered the paper to the first canvas I spritzed it with water, scrunched it up and inked and distressed it - I love the rustic feel!  I adhered it with Mod Podge and went looking through my stamp stash!

We all have a collection of stamps that we chose because we loved the quotes, right?  Here is the perfect opportunity to use them!  These sentiments are all from Kaisercraft.  I stamped them onto tissue paper with Archival Ink...

...then I tore out the quote and played with positioning on the canvas.  It is easier to hide the edges of the tissue if they are torn and if the background is light in color so I placed this one so that it aligned with the fog and the reflection of the sky on the water.  Another coat of Mod Podge and I was done with this one!

For the second sample, I chose not to distress the page before I adhered it to the canvas.  I did use an emory board and ink along the edges.

Since this quote stamp had a frame I didn't even try to hide the edge.  I cut it out of the tissue paper with scissors and then Mod Podged it to a lightly colored portion of the page:

I created the third sample in a similar fashion but I wanted to show you how different it looks if the tissue paper quote goes against a background that has a pronounced pattern:

It is still very legible, but has a very different feel to it:

I also decided to add these cute little foxes from the Paper House Backyard Friends Cardstock Sticker set.  They have a layer of Mod Podge on top of them, too.

For this final sample, I will admit that you can actually stamp directly onto the paper before you adhere it to the canvas:

Here is a close up to show the torn edges and the dimensional alpha I used to highlight an important word from the stamped quote:

I think these would make fun Christmas gifts, don't you?  Really fast and easy if you already have stamped sentiments you want to use.  One of the great things about working with this paper pad is that there are 3 of each page design, so you can also create multiples if you would like.  I chose to create with  8" paper and canvases, but remember that Paper House also has great designs in 12" and 6" papers, too.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you find some time to play today!  Susie

Paper House Products:

Other Products:
  • Plaid Mod Podge
  • Kaisercraft Stamps
  • Stampabilities Stamps
  • 8"x8" canvases
  • Thickers

3 comments: