Saturday, December 6, 2014

New Year's Eve Top Hat with Paper House and Mod Podge

New Year’s Eve is less than a month away.  I don't know about you, but this time of year always makes me think of New York City and Times Square!  I have friends who host an annual party so I created my own party hat using products from Paper House Productions and Plaid:

I started with a paper mache top hat that I picked up from Michael's.  I painted it with Licorice Folk Art Multi-Surface Paint and let it dry.  FolkArt Multi-Surface works on almost any surface you can imagine: wood, glass, terra cotta, fabric, plastic, canvas, and more.  Once properly cured, glass and ceramic projects are top-shelf dishwasher-safe, and fabric projects are safe for the gentle cycle. FolkArt Multi-Surface paint can even be used for outdoor projects!

I wanted the hat to be all black, but I wanted to add a little shimmer/shine, so I pulled out a stencil and applied Mod Podge Extreme Glitter.  I used a pouncing motion with a foam brush.  It did not leave a crisp design or a heavy coating of glitter, but that's okay because I was just looking for something subtle.

Next I used a little Mod Podge Dimensional Magic on cardstock stickers from Paper House...

...and on a stamped clock image.  I stamped and heat embossed the clock face on white cardstock and applied a Paper House glitter rub-on.  Next I covered the whole thing with the Mod Podge Dimensional Magic.  I did find that the cardstock warped a bit and I think the next time I try this I will firmly adhere it to some cardboard or chipboard first.

Once the Dimensional Magic was completely dried, I created several cracks  in the surface just by snapping it between my fingers.  I like the look!

You can see in the close-up shot that  I also treated the small Times Square sign cardstock sticker.  I did not add cracks to the sign or the apple.  Here's another look at the finished hat!
All the designers at Paper House had the chance to play with products from Plaid.  If you head over to the
you will find links to all of their blogs AND...my very favorite things about cross promotions...

the chance to win a PRIZE Package!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you find some time to play today!  Susie

Paper House Productions Supplies for New York City Top Hat:

Plaid Supplies:
  • Mod Podge Dimensional Magic
  • Mod Podge Extreme Glitter
  • Folk Art Multi-Surface Paint, Licorice
Other:
  • Stencil
  • Stamp
  • Embossing Powder

2 comments:

  1. FABULOUS & FUN!! Nice to see a New Year's project - love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Susie.. this is a fabulous NY hat.. amazing details .. you rocked this

    ReplyDelete