Sunday, January 31, 2016

Explore Techniques with Tags

I usually go visit my mother for a couple of weeks out of the year and when I am there I need to be able to create!  On my last trip I packed a little travel kit with my inks and stencils.  Since I was flying, I wanted to keep things small and light weight. I knew I couldn't bring along all of my stamps.  I solved that problem by stamping several images and sentiments onto a sheet of plain white tissue paper with black Archival ink, then folded it up and tucked it away.  Any wrinkles and creases just add texture!

Sometimes I have an idea in my head for a canvas or another large project and I want to try things out on a smaller scale first.  Tags are just perfect for working out colors & ideas and playing with techniques.  Before I started this tag, all I knew was that I wanted to use the face image in the upper right.
Click on tag to enlarge image.
I started with the Harlequin stencil from The Crafters Workshop and applied blue ink on a tag, then I shifted the stencil and lightly applied green ink.  I left the upper right area open and inked it with a peachy brown color.
 
 I always like a little texture on my projects so I used the same stencil to apply a bit of modeling paste at the top and bottom of the tag...
..and then let it dry.
I replaced the stencil on top of the dried modeling paste so that it lined up, and added a dark application of the green ink.
Next I reached for the 6x6 Casey and Penelope stencil designed by Dina Wakley for The Crafters Workshop.  It is really cool because the set includes a stencil and masks!
I started by inking through the standing figure with light brown...
...and blended in green ink until I was happy with the color.  I used one of the masks from the set in the bottom right and lightly applied blue ink in that corner.  At this point I used Mod Podge to adhere tissue paper with the pre-stamped face image in the upper right corner.
Tip:  I always tear the images out of the tissue paper instead of cutting them because the torn edges are much easier to camoflauge than a cut edge.
The next step was to tear out and adhere the stamped quote.  You can see that this technique does not create a transparent background, but I really like the subtle visual texture it adds.
I replaced the stencil and the mask and traced around them with a permanent black ink pen.
The tag just looked a little out of balance to me, so to finish things off I used the Arrows and Hearts stencil and the black pen to doodle along the left edge.
I love using tags to explore techniques and to create little portable works of art!
Thanks for stopping by and I hope you find some time to play today!  Susie

Supplies for Technique Tag:

  • Donna Downey Stamp - Enjoy Explore Believe
  • Donna Downey Stamp - What DoYou See, Small
  • The Crafters Workshop - Casey and Penelope
  • The Crafters Workshop - Harlequin
  • The Crafters Worshop - Arrows and Hearts
  • Tag, Mod Podge, modeling paste, tissue, inks, pen

5 comments:

  1. Pre-stamping on tissue is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to stamp on tissue paper instead of taking stamps with you when you are travelling. Love all the techniques on your tag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tag!!! LOVE all the embossing and layers of stencils!

    ReplyDelete