Friday, July 22, 2016

Bird Song Mixed Media Canvas

When I started working on this mixed media canvas the only thing I had in my mind was the quote, "Two birds never sing the same song."  I love working with mixed media because with the right tools - beautiful stencils, stamps, paints and sprays - I can create pieces that express my feelings and make my soul happy!
The stencils I used are from Rebecca Baer Designs.  I love being on Rebecca's Design Team.  Her collage style stencils are absolutely perfect for the mixed media projects I like to create. These are the stencils I used for today's project:
I started by using Mod Podge Matte to randomly apply torn music pages to a 12x12 canvas.
I dry-brushed on top of that using a mix of DecoArt Hansa Yellow and Raw Sienna acrylic paints.  Although the colors are strong, the light application allowed the background music sheets to show through.
I added a tag that had received the same treatment, attaching it along the right edge with adhesive Zots and a strip of bird themed washi tape.

I mixed together Whipped Spackle and Teal acrylic glaze, and laid down a light application through the small sized Entwined Stencil.
You can see here that I also layered the texture on top of the tag.
I also added a light aplication of the texture paste through the small sized Marrakech stencil.
   With the stenciling complete I began to add more layers.
At this point I pulled out my Glimmer Mist and spritzed away!  I added the title with alpha stickers and stamps.  (I stamped "SONG" onto tissue paper and adhered it on top of the canvas and texture with Mod Podge Matte.)
I added the band of burlap, twine, a charm and a pair of these wonderful chipboard birdhouses from Want2Scrap.  I again pulled out the Mod Podge using it this time to add a couple of birds, on the tag and on the canvas.
To really highlight the raised texture I created with the stencils, I applied metallic gold paint with my fingers on top of the designs and along the edge of the canvas.

If you are interested in seeing any of my other creative endeavors, I invite you to join me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you find some time to play today!  Susie

Materials for Mixed Media Bird Song Canvas:

No comments:

Post a Comment