Thursday, April 20, 2017

Mixed Media Cards with Rinea Foils

Hello and welcome to the April Designer Crafts Connection Blog Hop.  This month we are partnering with Rinea Foil and I designed a pair of mixed media cards featuring a simple paper piecing technique.
Click on any photo to see a larger image.
I received 2 packs of Rinea Double Sided Foiled Paper for this event: the Crafter's 10-Packs which are available in Glossy or Embossed Finish.  Each pack has 10 different colors to play with!

What makes it special is that it has two thin layers of colorful aluminum foil with a sheet of paper sandwiched between them.  This gives the material a paper-like sturdiness with the malleability of foil.  It is ideal for making 3-D objects and is great for  embossing and die-cutting.

I started by creating watercolor backgrounds for the cards with Color Bursts from Ken Oliver Crafts and then mounted them on black cardstock.

Click on photo for a larger image.
When you are working with a product that has so much pizazz, sometimes the simplest techniques are the best.  One of my favorites is paper piecing a stamped image so I pulled out my Julie Nutting Doll Stamps and started to play.  I stamped the image on cream cardstock and trimmed out the doll.
I stamped the main part of the dress on the Light Blue Star Struck Foil and the ruffle and sash on the Blue Glossy Finish Foil.  Her crown was stamped on the reverse side of that, which is Gold.  Everything was trimmed out and then layered onto the doll.  I adhered her to the front of the card with dimensional foam dots and then stamped the sentiment.  I finished things off with a smattering of self-adhesive bling!

I used basically the same techniques to create my second card.

Click on picture for a larger image.
I stamped the doll on cardstock and foil and trimmed them out.  I also die cut and embossed 2 small seashells.  I originally used the same Purple foil for the tail and seashells.  Later I changed the seashells to the Light Blue Foil.


Before I assembled everything I decided to add texture to the mermaid's tail by running it through an embossing folder.

I sanded it a little bit to reveal the new texture and then mounted my little mermaid on the card.  I also added an anchor which I had die cut from Silver Foil.  (I actually adhered the foil to cardstock before I cut and embossed it because I was attaching a chain and wanted it to be very sturdy!)


Here's a closeup of the heat embossed sentiment with the rhinestones.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you find some time to play today!  Susie


Follow this link to find a complete list of blogs for the Rinea hop:  Designer Crafts Connection

Supplies for Rinea Foils Mixed Media Cards:

Rinea Double Sided Foiled Paper Crafter's 10-Pack 
 - Blue/Gold Glossy Finish
 - Light Blue/Gold Star Struck Textured Finish
 - Purple/Gold Glossy Finish
 - Silver Glossy Finish
Julie Nutting Mixed Media Doll Stamps
Ken Oliver Crafts Color Burst Powders - Fuschia, Merlot, Turquoise, Violet, Lime Green
Want2Scrap 72 Count Rhinestones - Hot Pink, Royal Blue, Turquoise, Light Green, Silver/Clear
Wow! Primary Ebony Super Fine Embossing Powder
ProvoCraft Embossing Folder
Watercolor Paper
PEGZ American Typewriter Alphabet Stamp Set
Metal Chain
Inks

**Disclosure:  Rinea provided free product for this project.  My design and opinions are my own.**

26 comments:

  1. I love your cards. they are like paper dolls I used to play with when I was a kid. love, love the mermaid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria! I loved paper dolls as a child, too so that is probably why I am fascinated with them now!

      Delete
  2. These cards are just so pretty! I really like the sanding on the mermaid. Thanks so much for being a part of this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzy, love our paper piecing - that mermaid is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the paper doll paper piecing! Made me want to play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I try to play every day because it is good for the soul!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful cards and so many ideas to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was very excited when I was finished because they actually turned out better than I imagined - and that does not always happen!

      Delete
  6. Love Julie Nutting and mermaids.... great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto to both! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  7. Love these! Beautiful job at using the Rinea foiled paper.
    Nadine - My Scrap n' Stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nadine! The foil was so much fun to play with! I actually have a couple more ideas I am working on in my head that I hope to share soon!

      Delete
  8. These are FANTASTIC! Great use of Rinea Foil Paper!!

    ReplyDelete