Monday, May 1, 2017

Wedding Shadow Box Display - 2017 Best Blogger Finalist!

I created this Home Dec Wedding Display using photos from a wonderful wedding that I attended earlier this year and I am so excited to share that my  project has been chosen as a finalist in the favecrafts 2017 Best Blogger Contest!

I love having happy memories on the wall to enjoy every day and wedding days create the happiest of memories!  In this home dec piece I used a classic gray and white color scheme and mixed in wood tones, metal, soft flowers and lots of dimension!  I printed photos in black & white, sepia, and color and added them to the display frame with a mix of transparencies, scrapbook paper, rub-ons and dimensional items.


I masked off the inside walls of each opening in an unfinished wood display box with painter's tape. Following the label directions, I applied Carbon Gray Varathane to roof, outer walls, front edges and back walls of most of the openings. (Some were left bare because I would be covering them later with scrapbook paper or photos.)  I let the stain dry for one hour and then removed the tape to reveal the unfinished wood. 

I started my embellishing in the "attic" with a cluster of blooms from the Petaloo Botanica line from Floracraft®.  I used an Angled Sign Holder from Deflecto as a small easel for my first photo of the bride and groom, adhering a small metal embellishment on the front.  All of the items in this display box were adhered with Scrapbook Adhesives from 3L.



One of my favorite techniques created a really fun dimensional effect!  I started by sizing and printing a photo of the wedding party in black and white and adhering it to the back wall of one of the openings.  I then reprinted the same picture in color and trimmed out just the bride and groom.  I inserted the trimmed out figures into a SuperGrip Display Holder from Deflecto - essentially creating a paper doll of the bridal couple - and then adhere it on the shelf in front of the black and white photo.  Even though the Display Holder was transparent, I decided to cover it up with a small metal embellishment.  The image of the bride and groom really stands out!


The SuperGrip Display Holder was also used to attach the small photo beside the "Mr. & Mrs." letter tiles.  The permanent self adhesive makes it easy to secure the holder to the wood shelf.  I added a small bloom from Petaloo in the front with a DODZ Adhesive Dot.


In another opening I used a Deflecto Sign Hanger to create an easel for a small photo. I adhered the Sign Hanger to the display box shelf and then added a DODZ Adhesive Dot so that it covered up the hole that was originally intended to hold a piece of twine or string.  I added the photo and used another decorative metal embellishment to disguise the Sign Holder. 



Each opening was filled with photos and embellishments.  Use your imagination and materials at hand to add dimension and detail.  Here are some close ups to provide a little more inspiration!
I used a small glass bottle filled with glitter and a cluster of berries as a fun embellishment!
 Rub-ons and metal pieces are unifying elements used throughout the project.

I turned a special wine cork into a photo holder and had fun playing with transparencies!
And now I have a favor to ask - the winner in the contest is selected through popular vote - which starts today!  If you have a chance to pop over to favecrafts and cast a vote for my project I would really appreciate it!  You can vote every day through May 7th.  


Thanks so much for your vote and I hope you find some time to play today!  Susie




Supplies:
Deflecto Angled Sign Holder #20001
Deflecto SuperGrip Display Holder #20002
Deflecto Sign Hangers #20003
Testors® Rustoleum® Varathane® Wood Stain – Carbon Gray
FloraCraft® Petaloo™ Botanica – Berry Clusters
FloraCraft® Petaloo™ Botanica – Blooms x 4 – Charcoal Gray
Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L ™– DODZ™ Adhesive Dots
Scrapbook Adhesivesby 3L™  - EZRunner® – Permanent Strips

Michael’s® Unfinished House Display Box #398727
Prima Marketing/Leeza Gibbons Transparencies
Momenta Birthday Metal Stickers
Momenta  Medallion Photo Corners Metal Stickers
Tim Holtz Idea-Ology Memo Pin
Teresa Collins Memorabilia Recorded Scrapbook Paper
Luxe Designs – Love Words Rub Ons

Bottle Cap Company – Letterpress Tiles

No comments:

Post a Comment