I asked him to alter the slot so that it was open on each side so that I could slip a wider piece of glass into the opening. Well, let me tell you that my husband can do anything!
Now it was time to etch the glass. I started with etchall® etching crème, etchall® stencil spray and (1) 5"x7" piece of glass. I wanted to use elements from these 2 stencils from StencilGirl.
|Stencils are not to scale.|
Here's the process:
- I placed the dance stencil in a box and sprayed the back.
- After it dried and was tacky to the touch I positioned it on the glass, firmly pressing it into place and taping around the edges.
- I used the etchall squeegee and the pads of my fingers to make sure it was firmly attached and there were no air bubbles.
- I then applied the etching crème very thickly with the squeegee, covering the stencil area completely.
- After 15 minutes I used the squeegee to scrape up the etchall crème and return it to the original bottle because the etching crème is completely reusable.
- Then I thoroughly washed the glass under running water, removing all of the etching crème before removing the tape and stencil.
Note: Do not rinse in a porcelain sink as this is an etching product and it will remove the glaze.
I clamped the glass together so I could run 1/8" silver metallic tape around 3 sides of the glass. I did this for 2 reasons. First of all it covered the sharp edges of the glass and made it safer to handle. The second reason was because I had seen a video about creating a lighted sign from etched glass and they recommended the tape to reflect escaping light back into the etched piece.
I inserted the glass into the slot in the lighted base. I think it looks great, but...
...the magic happens when you turn off the light and turn on the lamp!
The really cool thing is that you can change the colors of the LED lights with the touch of a button.
Now I am searching the thrift stores to see if I can find another LED light to alter because I have a lot of stencils! If not, I have found similar LED lights and lighted bases online.
Thanks for stopping by and I hope you find some time to play today! Susie
etchall® etching crème
etchall® reposition/reuse stencil spray
Stencil Girl The Dance of This Life, 9"x12"
Stencil Girl Urban Insiders Star Stencil, 4"x4"
(2) pieces 5" x 7" glass
Led lamp - altered
1/8" Silver metallic tape