At Creativation in January members of the Designer Section were gifted a swag bag of fun products from a variety of manufacturers. I have joined in with a small group of my designer friends to challenge ourselves: select at least 5 of the products and create a unique project. You will find a complete list of our wonderful sponsors and the materials they provided at the end of my post. And now, it is time to play...
The next step was to take a second color (I chose Poppy Seed, which is black.) and roll it out and then press it on top of the stamp, covering the first color. Then you peel back the rubber stamp to reveal your creation. (That is a pretty basic explanation but there are lots of great tutorials if you use the Google!)
I used a biscuit cutter to cut out the best looking section I could find, poked holes on opposite sides of the circle, and then baked it according to the manufacturer's instructions (275° for 30 minutes per 1/4" thickness). I think it turned out pretty great for a first timer, don't you?
I decided to add some details and doodles with the Spectrum Noir Metallic marker supplied by Crafter's Companion and then I set it aside.
Next up I reached for the Crafter's Pack of foil from Rinea. It is actually double sided paper foil, comes in a wide range of colors and measures 6"x12" which is the perfect size for my needs.
The first thing I did with that beautiful, shiny and unblemished foil was to carefully crumble it all up! And I do mean carefully because the point is to add texture, not tears! When it was all wrinkled up to my satisfaction I smoothed it out and used double sided adhesive sheets to adhere it to a piece of 6"x12" matboard. I did this twice so that I had 2 pieces.
I die cut the matboard using the Eileen Hull Journal die from Sizzix. Just look at all that gorgeous texture!!
To really show off the texture I painted over it with acrylic paint from my stash (I was trying to match the Turnip clay I had used previously), not trying to get full coverage. I actually wanted a lot of the gold Rinea foil showing through. After it had dried I painted over the whole thing with black paint and then used a paper towel to rub most of it off before it dried.
I ended up with a really cool finish with lots of subtle shine and color.
Once the paint had dried again, I applied Beacon Jewel Tac Jewelry Glue™ along the spines...
...and overlapped and joined the covers. I also threaded gold elastic through the holes at the top and bottom. The elastic also holds the covers together and provides a place on the inside to add signatures.
I used the end of my paint brush to add dots to my mandalas using all the paints DecoArt provided...
I also used the Spectrum Noir marker again to add in some teeny, tiny little dots.
Having the stenciled outline of the mandala made it really easy and relaxing to just add the decorative touches. It was really fun and I could have done more but I had to make myself stop at some point! Here's a peek at the finished inside covers.
Sculpey® had also provided a bottle of liquid bakeable medium and a mandala mold that you can put in the oven! I squeezed out the liquid, squeegeed it into the mold, and baked according to directions. (300° for 15 minutes per 1/4" of thickness)
Look at how beautiful and delicate they are! But don't be fooled, they are very sturdy!
I realized too late that I should have done a better job of cleaning off the extra Liquid Sculpey® before I baked it. The lacy mandala had a thin film covering a lot of the holes. I took them over the sink and gave them a good scrubbing with my vegetable brush - I told you - sturdy! It did not remove everything, but my mandala looked a lot better!
I decided to add some pink mica powder to the Liquid Sculpey® to see if I could get a different color. I mixed it on my craft mat...
...and also dusted the bakeable silicone mold with the powder.
The pink mandalas came out even better than I imagined,but I set them aside for now.
I wanted to add signatures to the inside of my journal. To decorate the covers I arranged some of the 3D Foam Squares from Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L into a pattern. I dusted them with gold glitter...
...and then added in a stacked mandala from the Liquid Sculpey®.
And now, drumroll please! Let's see how it all comes together! Here's my journal:
This is the outside of the journal as it lays open on a table.
I used the Sutton Slice piece to decorate an elastic used to hold the journal closed.
And here you can see the inside of the journal and the first signature.
I really am happy with how it turned out and I learned so much just playing with the products! I may have developed a new addiction or two!
Here are links to the other Designers who decided to play along with this challenge! I am really curious to see what they came up with, aren't you? I wonder if they used the same combination of products? Surprises and inspiration ahead!
Susie Bentz (you are here!)
Sponsors & Materials for Journal:
Rinea - Crafter's Pack: Glossy - Ruby/Gold
DecoArt - Extreme Sheen™ Metallic Paint - 24K Gold
DecoArt - Americana® Acrylic Paint, Peony Pink
DecoArt - Americana® Decor™ Chalky Finish, Lace
The Crafter's Workshop - Prismatic 6" stencil, TCW802s
Sculpey® Clay - Soufflé Oven Bake Clay:Turnip, Poppy Seed; Silicone Bakeable Mold Mandala; Liquid Sculpey® Liquid Polymer Clay - Pearl
Beacon Adhesives - Dazzle Tac Jewelry Glue™
Crafter's Companion - Spectrum Noir™ Metallic pen, Gold Nugget
Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L - 3D Foam Squares
Sizzix Journal Scoreboard XL die
Sizzix Sizzles Matboard
Adhesive sheets, double sided
Elastic cord, gold
Acrylic paint: black, purple flash